Welcome to the CADSTARguys Blog - Information, hints, tips and my waffle on the CADSTAR Printed Circuit Board design suite.

Please note that all names used are completely fictitious and any thing written is my own personal opinion or knowledge and not related in any way to either my employers or their customers (or Zuken).
Also this is not a replacement for proper Maintenence/support and you should read the help files before asking anything techy:).

Friday 14 August 2015

Handy hints and tips.

I have been using CADSTAR for 20+ years, I am familiar with most of it however even though I use it daily, show others how to use it and fix problems with it I am amazed that I am still learning all the little things, it is almost as if I learn something new every month. Why is this? Possibly because not every method of doing something is documented - besides, who reads the documentation?



So what I am going to do with this page is present a "What I learnt today" and "did you know" type of page and will list those handy tips and tricks as & when I find them.

So let me start:

 A whole page of tips:
When you start first CADSTAR you are presented with a handy tip popup, many disable this so that they never see it again.

If you open "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zuken\CADSTAR 16.0\Programs\tips.txt" you will have a list of over 50+ wonderful hints and tips that are shown in this popup - well worth a read.


Changing Units: I have not used the toolbar\ribbon setting for
changing units for years - I always left click on the unit setting
at the bottom of the page to change the units from thou to mm etc.






 What I saw someone do was to right click on the units setting on the status bar, this presents a quick unit change menu.






Naming nets: I have always added a signal reference while I am adding a connection by clicking the RMB and using Sig Ref, selecting the symbol then typing the net name in the name field.

I have found that it's easier than that - simply type the net name while you are adding the connection and once you have finished double left click to leave a dangler. The net will be named & displayed next to the dangler.
Then copy another signal reference symbol and paste onto the dangler you leave.

Fix -Unfix items:
You can select an item and type "fix" followed by the <Enter> key to fix it.
It's even quicker to unfix selected items - just type"U"  followed by the <Enter> key to unfix it.

More tips will follow as & find them (and the time to add them).



0 comments:

Post a Comment